Well, that's comforting to know.Im sorry to have to tell you that the intrusive memories you mention get worse with age.
Actually, I already assumed as much. When I was younger I thought that by now it would have been less frequent in my life as I got older, but I'm 45 now and it only seems to be getting stronger. I also thought that my memory would have eventually run out of room by now, but it apparently hasn't reached capacity yet. I don't even want to think about what it's going to be like when I'm 80.
I think that each and every single one of us walking around on this planet has done, or thought of doing something that is considered by our faith to be questionable. But most of us know when and where to draw the line.I guess I'm subconsciously preparing for that life review I expect when I die.
I went through Hell when I was a kid, but I didn't go forth into this world and choose to do the same evil to other people, I could have, but I made the choice to be a better person. I treat everybody with respect and decency until they make the choice to turn against me, and then I will react accordingly. I haven't had to kill anybody yet, but I would do it without hesitation if I had to because I believe that the Good Lord gave us the gift of our life, and the right to defend that life against the people that would attack us.
Yes, I've done some bad things, and one day when it's time for my *interview* with the Good Lord, I will answer for my actions, everybody will. I don't know what the outcome will be, but I do know that with the unbelievable evil acts that some people have done in this life, most of us are saints compared to those people.
Honestly, I think that it would be a perfect life if that was actually true."What you need for a happy old age is a good digestion and a bad memory."
But I think that we are given memory, and the ability to reflect on our lives and experiences for a reason, whether they are good or bad, filled with joy or regret, we carry them with us to learn from them, and when possible, to teach others. I suppose that it's a necessary part of being human. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a guy with a keyboard.